What does it take to begin a relationship with God? The following principles will explain how you can personally begin a relationship with God, right now, through Jesus Christ.
God loves you and offers a wonderful plan for your life.
- "God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16
- "I (Jesus) came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly." John 10:10
Why is it that most people are not experiencing abundant life? Because...
All of us sin and our sin has separated us from God.
- "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23
- "The wages of sin is death." (spiritual separation from God) Romans 6:23
A great gulf separates us from God. The third principle explains the only way to bridge this gulf...
Jesus Christ is God's only provision for our sin. Through Him we can know and experience God's love and plan for our life.
- "God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8
- "Christ died for our sins...He was buried...He was raised on the third day, according to the Scriptures...He appeared to Peter, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred." 1 Corinthians 15:3-6
- "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me." John 14:6
God has bridged the gulf which separates us from Him by sending His son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross in our place to pay the penalty for our sins. It is not enough just to know these three principles...
We must individually receive Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord; then we can know and experience God's love and plan for our lives.
- "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name." John 1:12
- "By grace you have been saved through faith; and that is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so no one should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
- "Behold, I (Jesus) stand at the door and knock; if any one hears My voice and open the door, I will come in to him." Revelation 3:20
Receiving Christ involves turning to God from self (repentance) and trusting Christ to come into our lives to forgive our sins and to make us what He wants us to be. You receive Jesus Christ by faith, as an act of the will.
You can receive Christ right now by faith through prayer.
Prayer is talking to God. God knows your heart and is not concerned with your words as He is with the attitude of your heart. The following is a suggested prayer:
"Lord Jesus, I need You. Thank you for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank you for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of my life. Make me the kind of person You want me to be."
If this prayer expresses the desire of your heart, then you can pray this prayer right now and Christ will come into your life, as He promised.
Adapted from the Campus Crusade for Christ website, www.cru.org.